Companies that are looking to gain a foothold in the marketplace may want to consider how they can use story to create meaning and connection.
- Understand what you are selling.
- Throw out common marketing wisdom. Conflict is what makes stories interesting.
- Look to brand's history to identify key themes and underlying conflicts that drive its story and make it unique.
- Your brand story is not what you would like to tell your consumer about your brand; story is the meaning your consumer takes out of all her experiences with your brand.
- The most effective and motivating stories are based on fundamental truths about the human condition that arise directly from the central conflicts of the story.