Bullfighting is comprised of three main stages. The stages feature a matador and five assistants. This is a list of each stage, including the opening and concluding acts, and the featured bullfighters and assistants.
- Paseo - Parade of matadors and assistants into arena
- Picadors - Two assistants on horseback thrust lances (rejones) at the bulls neck to weaken it
- Act of the banderillas - Banderilleros - Three assistants on foot taunt the bull with harpoons (banderillos)
- Act of killing - Matador - Bullfighter re-enters with red cape (muleta) and taunts before the kill
- Indulto - Very occasionally an bull will be allowed to survive and be retired from competition because it is so dangerous