Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas produced by burning material containing carbon. CO poisoning can cause brain damage and, in severe cases, death. You can't see it, smell it, or taste it, but carbon monoxide can kill you. CO is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America. You can't detect this odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas, known as the Silent Killer, which claims more than 2000 lives each year. CO is produced by common household appliances. Early symptoms of CO poisoning, such as headaches, nausea, and fatigue, are often mistaken for the flu because the deadly gas goes undetected in a home. Prolonged exposure can lead to brain damage and even death.

  1. Exposure to carbon monoxide is most commonly accompanied by the following symptoms:
  2. Headache
  3. Dizziness
  4. Nausea
  5. Flulike symptoms, fatigue
  6. Shortness of breath on exertion
  7. Impaired judgment
  8. Chest pain
  9. Confusion
  10. Depression
  11. Hallucinations
  12. Agitation
  13. Vomiting
  14. Abdominal pain
  15. Drowsiness
  16. Visual changes
  17. Fainting
  18. Seizure
  19. Memory and walking problems