Rickets is a disorder primarily caused by lack of vitamin D, calcium, or phosphate, which leads to softening and weakening of the bones.
- Bone pain or tenderness - Arms, Legs, Spine, Pelvis.
- Skeletal deformities - Bowlegs, Forward projection of the breastbone (pigeon chest), Bumps in the rib cage (rachitic rosary), Asymmetrical or odd-shaped skull, Spine deformities (spine curves abnormally, including scoliosis or kyphosis), Pelvic deformities.
- Increased tendency toward bone fractures
- Dental deformities - Delayed formation of teeth, Defects in the structure of teeth, holes in the enamel, Increased incidence of cavities in the teeth (dental caries), Progressive weakness, Decreased muscle tone (loss of muscle strength)
- Muscle cramps
- Impaired growth
- Short stature (adults less than 5 feet tall)