Everyone likes to breathe, especially clean air. Here are some simple ideas to help keep our air clean. What tips do you have?
- Conserve energy—turn off lights and appliances when you leave the room.
- Follow gasoline refueling instructions for efficient vapor recovery. Be careful not to spill fuel and always tighten your gas cap securely.
- Keep car, boat, and other engines tuned up according to manufacturers' specification.
- Be sure your tires are properly inflated.
- Drive less--Carpool, use public transportation, bike, or walk whenever possible. Call-around before you run errands. Does the store really have that thing you need? If you can reduce trips you can save money, time, and cut air pollution.
- Use environmentally safe paints and cleaning products whenever possible. Paint with water-based latex paints, not oil-based. It's easier, and much less polluting.
- Some products that you use at your home or office are made with smog-forming chemicals that can evaporate into the air when you use them. Follow manufacturers' recommendations for use and properly seal cleaners, paints, and other chemicals to prevent evaporation into the air.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs wherever possible in your home. They screw into standard sockets, but use about a quarter of the energy of a standard bulb for the same amount of light. And they last 10 times longer!