This is a concise, high-level list of general information about skateboarding:
- Skateboarding is the act of rolling on or interacting with a skateboard.
- Someone who skateboards is called a skater or skateboarder, and in slang terms a wood-pusher.
- Skateboarding can be an art, hobby, a sport, or a method of transportation.
- It is often considered part of the extreme sports family or, because of its creative aspects, an art form.
- Skateboarding has been shaped and influenced by hundreds of skateboarders throughout the years.
- A 2002 report by American Sports Data found that there were 12.5 million skateboarders in the world.
- Eighty percent of skateboarders polled who had used a board in the last year were under the age of 18, and 74 percent were male.