Did you know that your shopping choices affect the environment? Everything you buy affects the Earth, but some choices have a lesser impact. Educating yourself about the products you buy can empower you to make a difference in protecting the planet. It's called "green purchasing," and it's easy to do.
- Buy recycled. Items made from paper and plastic are often made from recycled materials.
- Buy in bulk or multi-packs. Buying more items at once reduces packaging waste. You can also buy items with packaging that can be reused or recycled.
- Buy used. You can find authentic retro clothes, accessories, and other items at your local thrift store.
- Trade with friends. Instead of buying brand new products, swap with friends or family.
- Combine bags. When you're at the mall, don't get a new shopping bag for every item—combine bags or put them in your backpack. (And be sure to hold onto the receipt!)
- Buy energy-efficient items. Look for the ENERGY STAR® logo when buying electronics such as TVs, CD players, DVD players, and computers Also, don't forget to check for gas-efficiency when purchasing a new vehicle.