A new report shows that while deaths from residential fires have been nearly cut in half from 4,500 in 1980 to 2,660 in 1998, those caused by candles have increased dramatically. Candle deaths increased 750 percent from 1980 (20 deaths) to 1998 (170 deaths). Reduce the chance of a fire, by following CPSC's simple safety tips."
- Keep matches, lighters and candles away from children.
- Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Keep combustible materials away from candles.
- Don't put candles in a location where children or pets could knock them down.
- Use only non-flammable candle holders.
- Always trim the wicks before lighting.