How to soften hard butter on the counter and the microwave.
- Cut a large block of butter into smaller squares and leave on the counter for about 30 minutes.
- Place butter, cut into smaller pieces, over a bowl of hot water.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer.
- Place butter between two sheets of waxed paper and shape it with the palm of your hand, or roll it with a rolling pin until it reaches the texture you want.
- In the microwave ue medium-low (30%) power for a few seconds – watching it closely. To give you an idea: At medium-low, or at the "defrost" setting of a 700-watt microwave oven, it takes about 30 seconds to soften 1/2 cup (125 mL).
- Tip if you accidentally melt your butter, don't use it for baking, as you won't get the desired texture. Instead, use it for something else like cooking or over vegetables.