Packing smart and light is even more important today as airlines crack down on carry-ons and luggage. Here is some helpful tips on how to bring only the essentials.
- If you're not going to wear it more than three times, don't pack it!
- Shop selectively: It's worth it to get just the right clothes for your trip.
- Tops: Two or three T-shirts, one or two short-sleeved blouses, and one or two long-sleeved shirts.
- Pants and shorts: Dark-colors don't show dirt or wrinkles. One pair is probably enough, Few European women wear shorts.
- Skirts: They're as cool and breathable as shorts and can easily be dressed up or down.
- Shoes: Bring one pair of comfortable walking shoes. For a second pair, consider sandals or Tevas in summer, or dark leather flats in Winter.
- Socks, underwear & PJs: You won’t be stylish wearing walking shoes and white socks, but comfort's more important. Microfiber underwear dries faster. Sports bras double as hiking tops. PJ bottoms & a T-shirt will get you modestly to the bathroom.
- Jacket: Neutral colors look more European than bright colors.
- Accessorize, accessorize: Scarves dress up your outfit, are lightweight and easy to pack. Remember that your most important accessory is your hidden money belt.