Information about how to clean and maintain your deck .Step by step procedure how to maintain your deck.
- The first thing to do when cleaning your deck is to sweep it. Next hose the deck down by using the strongest setting on the spray nozzle. Use a brush to loosen the soil. The Queen has a great recipe for this.
- Proper inspection and protection of your wood will keep it from splintering.
- It is important to seal your deck.. Use a good wood sealer that you pick up at a home center or hardware store. (Thompson's WaterSeal was used on-air.) Someone at the hardware store can guide you in choosing the best type to use for your wood.
- Make sure you check the deck for splinters. If you find splinters, you need to sand them down.
- You may also need a deck brighter that will actually bleach the surface. You will have to spray it on, brush it and then rinse it.
- If you have sap on your deck, place mineral spirits on an old cloth and work it into the sap. When finished, use 1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid and 1 quart of hot water in a spray bottle. Put it on and let it sit for a few minutes and rinse it real well.
- Another method you can use for sap is glycerin and warm water. It is available at the drugstore in the hand cream section. Mix it 50 percent with warm water. Put it on and let it sit a few minutes and then wipe it off and rinse again.