Prescription strength non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, including indomethacin, nabumetone, naproxen sodium, and oxaprozin are commonly used to treat rheumatoid arthritis.
- Borage oil - may partially relieve symptoms rheumatoid arthritis.
- Fish oil (EPA/DHA) - may partially relieve symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Vitamin E - protects many tissues, including joints, against oxidative damage.
- Herbs that may be helpful in treating rheumatoid arthritis include:
- Boswellia - reduced symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis in many reports.
- Cayenne - (topical) - may help relieve pain when rubbed onto arthritic joints.
- Devil's claw - exhibits anti-inflammatory and analgesic actions.
- Turmeric - the active constituent in turmeric, curcumin, is a potent anti-inflammatory compound that protects the body against free radical damage.