Useful information to help you with painting a door.
- Remove or tape over the doorknob, the strike bolt and the hinges.
- Take the door off its hinges and lay it across two sawhorses or a table to paint. (You can paint it as it hangs, but you get a better effect if you take it off its hinges.)
- Check for cracks and holes, and fill with putty. For really big problems (like a hole where a security lock once went), fill with an epoxy filler (such as Bondo brand) - the same stuff that's used on car bodies.
- Apply a coat of primer if you're down to a raw surface. Allow to dry.
- Apply one or two coats (depending on how well it covers) of semigloss or glossy paint; they're the most durable and easiest to clean.
- Paint in even strokes with a high-quality brush, perhaps one with a tapered end.