The following are some advantages and disadvantages for using wood chips or shavings as mulch. Based on your own knowldege and experience, feel free to add to this list.
- visually pleasing (pro)
- provide all the characteristics of good mulch (pro)
- fungal contamination can also occur with unseasoned wood mulch (con)
- not properly aged or not turned regularly can contain toxins that are harmful to young plants (con)
- not properly aged or turned regularly can contain acids that are harmful to young plants (con)
- advisable to use older, decomposed material (to do)