Millions of people are unintentionally poisoned every year. Here are some facts you should know:
- A poison is any substance that can cause an unintended symptom.
- Every 30 seconds a child is poisoned in the United States.
- Sixty percent of all poisonings occur to children under the age of six.
- Many poisonings occur when the daily household routine has been disrupted. An example of this would be having a babysitter.
- The most common products involved in poisonings are drugs (prescription and over-the- counter), household and chemical products, plants and cosmetics.
- Be aware that childproof caps are not really CHILD PROOF. They are only child resistant and if a child is given enough time they will open the container.
- Keep in mind that products may have incorrect or out-of-date first aid instructions.
- It is very important to call the Poison Control Center or a doctor right away.
- In addition, you may contact your local Poison Control Center to obtain poison prevention materials that may include additional information on emergency management.