Steps to help you with replacing the doorbell button.
- Turn off the power to the doorbell at the main circuit breaker or fuse box.
- Unscrew the doorbell's cover plate and remove it with a screwdriver. The cover plate is the piece of metal or plastic covering the button or switch.
- Pull the unit out of the wall with your hand. Do not hold the metal parts of the unit as you do this. The unit should come out a few inches, exposing the wires.
- Unscrew the two electrical wires from the back of the doorbell button with a screwdriver.
- Take the old unit with you to the hardware store and get a new one with the same wiring setup.
- Return home, and attach the wires to the screws on the back of the new doorbell button.
- Remount the doorbell to the wall. If the new cover plate does not match the old one, you may have to drill new holes for the screws holding the unit.
- Turn the power back on at the circuit breaker or fuse box