According to the FTC, here are some facts you should know if you are considering Lasik Surgery:
- Lasik is surgery to a very delicate part of the eye.
- Hundreds of thousands of people have had Lasik, most very successfully.
- As with any surgery, there are risks and possible complications.
- Lasik may not give you perfect vision. The American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) reports that seven out of 10 patients achieve 20/20 vision, but 20/20 does not always mean perfect vision.
- If you have Lasik to correct your distance vision, you'll still need reading glasses around age 45.
- Lasik surgery is too new to know if there are any long-term ill effects beyond five years after surgery.
- Lasik surgery cannot be reversed.
- Most insurance does not cover the surgery.
- You may need additional surgery — called "enhancements" — to get the best possible vision after Lasik.