Quick Facts Shopping on the Internet can be economical and convenient. Shopping on the Internet is no less safe than shopping in a store or by mail. To help ensure that your online shopping experience is a safe one:
- Know who you’re dealing with. Confirm the online seller’s physical address and phone number in case you have questions or problems.
- Know exactly what you’re buying. Read the seller’s description of the product closely, especially the fine print.
- Know what it will cost. Factor shipping and handling — along with your needs and budget — into the total cost of the order.
- Pay by credit or charge card, for maximum consumer protections.
- Check out the terms of the deal, like refund policies and delivery dates.
- Shopping online offers lots of benefits that you won’t find shopping in a store or by mail.
- Print and save records of your online transactions.