A cover letter is sent with a résumé or application form, as a way of introducing yourself to prospective employers.
- As with your résumé, it may be helpful to look for examples on the Internet or in books at your local library or bookstore, but be sure not to copy letters directly from other sources.
- Your cover letter should be original.
- It should capture the employer’s attention.
- Try to follow a business letter format.
- Include your name and address of the specific person to whom the letter is addressed.
- Include your reason for your interest in the company or position.
- Include your main qualifications for the position.
- Include a request for an interview.
- Include your home and work telephone numbers.