Treatment involves increasing dietary intake of calcium, phosphates and vitamin D. Exposure to ultraviolet in sunshine, cod liver oil, halibut-liver oil, and viosterol are all sources of vitamin D.
- The replacement of deficient calcium, phosphorus, or vitamin D will eliminate most symptoms of rickets.
- Dietary sources of vitamin D include fish, liver, and processed milk.
- Exposure to moderate amounts of sunlight is encouraged.
- Treating rickets caused by metabolic abnormalities may require a special prescription for vitamin D.
- Positioning or bracing may be used to reduce or prevent deformities. Some skeletal deformities may require corrective surgery.