Although tinnitus has no simple 'cure', there are strategies for reducing its impact.
- The conventional treatment of tinnitus focuses on correcting the underlying causes. For example:
- If the cause of your tinnitus is excessive earwax, your physician will clean out your ears with a cotton-tipped probe or a suction device.
- If you have an ear infection, you may be given a prescription ear drop containing hydrocortisone to help relieve the itching and an antibiotic to fight the infection.
- If otoscierosis or a tumor is diagnosed, surgery may be necessary.
- If temporomandibular joint syndrome is the cause of your tinnitus, your doctor will probably refer you to a specialist for appropriate treatment.