Malaysian Airlines Flight 17 appears to have been shot down by Russian activists. There have been 7 more civilian flights that experts believe that were downed by the military, including an Iran Air plane in 1988 by the United States Navy. It was carrying 300 passengers, all of whom were killed.
- Korean Air Lines Flight 007 (1983)
- Iran Air Flight 655 (1988)
- Itavia Flight 870 (1980)
- El Al Flight 402 (1955)
- Siberia Airlines Flight 1812 (2001)
- Cathay Pacific Airways (1954)
- Libyan Arab Airlines Flight 114 (1973)