The New Yorker recently published a piece in which the author was wondering how "e-laughing".. Facebook put their research chops on it and came up with the following most popular ways people laugh online. (note the FB stats addd up to 1/10 % more than 100%, I am gonna chalk that up to rounding) These stats are taken from the FB blogpost which reviewed comments and posts on FB, but not on Messenger.
- "haha " - Number one way to laugh online 51.4 %
- 33.7% use an emoji of some sort to portray laughter
- "hehe" is trending among younger folks at 13.1%
- "lol" dead last and losing its legs at 1.9%
- Males are more likely to use "haha" or a version of haha, like ha ha ha ha, While Females are more likely to use an emoji than men, but also like their haha's
- haha and hehe are more popular on the west coast, emoji are the weapon of choice in the midwest, and southern states are fond of lol.