All persons living in the U.S. are expected to pay their income taxes and other taxes honestly and on time. The tax money is used by different government agencies to pay for the services provided to Americans, such as:
- Protection of life, rights, property, and safety: Police, fire and rescue squads, court system, armed forces
- Health: Pure water and food, inspected milk and meat, maintaining hospitals, etc.
- Education: Public schools and libraries
- Maintenance, repair and building of roads, highways and streets
- Conservation or protection of wildlife, forests, natural resources
- Protection of savings, by inspecting banks and insuring savings in banks
- Relief and aid: In emergencies for droughts, floods