Having a picnic is a relaxing way to enjoy the environment and spend time with family and friends. It is also a time when a great amount of waste and pollution can occur. It is important to consider ways to reduce the amount of waste generated at the picnic. This will help to ensure that the environment remains clean so that it can be enjoyed by future generations.
- Use reusable items whenever possible. For example, use durable plastic containers to carry food such as sandwiches, salads, etc. rather than using disposable products.
- Consider making your own drinks. If you make drinks like lemonade or ice tea, it will reduce the amount of disposable products that you take on your picnic.
- Break or cut the loops of plastic six-pack rings before disposing of them. If you bring six-packs of drinks to a picnic, it is imperative that you destroy the rings. If these rings remain intact, there is a chance that fish and wildlife could become entangled in them.
- Recycle as much as possible. Be sure that any bottles, cans, and any other materials that can be recycled are disposed of properly. If there are no recycling containers available on your picnic, collect these items so that they can be recycled later.
- Dispose of all waste properly. For materials that cannot be recycled, be sure that they do not end up as litter by disposing of them in wastebaskets.