If you’ve consumed something that requires throwing up, contact a poison control hotline or physician before attempting to induce vomiting as it may do more harm than good. And never try and throw up as a means of weight control. But if you feel like you need to, you can try these:
- Consume a lot of water quickly to dilute the contents of your stomach. About 500ml – 1 L should be enough depending on your size and how much water you can hold.
- Position yourself over a toilet seat or bucket.
- Trigger your gag reflex by pressing your index and middle finger onto the very back of your tongue, almost into your throat. Then start stroking the back of your throat. At this point most people will just gag and cough, keeping this up will eventually cause vomiting. Doing this should induce vomiting within 2 minutes.
- Another way to throw up is to mix 500ml of hot, but not too hot to drink, water with 100-150ml of yellow mustard. Add about 3 teaspoons of salt and mix. It is highly disgusting, and almost guarantees you will throw up.
- A good way I’ve found to induce vomiting is to drink blackened toast. Make sure the toast is black all the way through, then crush it up in about half a cup of water, and then drink it.
- If you prefer, you can have someone else either use their fingers and/or administer an emetic, and/or Ipecac. (An emetic is a substance which causes a person to throw up).
- If gagging yourself alone does not help try to consciously push up on your stomach with your abdominal muscles. This can even work without gagging yourself, especially if you are already sick to your stomach.